Week 9 Blog Post
Julliene Gatchalian: I’m
wondering if the sample size for the “disadvantaged” minority groups only
included Blacks and Latinos. Was the study also inclusive of other minority
groups and was the data different depending on the group people belonged to?
Mengshi Ju:
If it's your turn to do this
research, which perspectives and samples will you choose since you think there
are problems with these two aspects of this research?
Those two questions both
wondering the samples of “disadvantaged” minority groups. This is also one of
biggest concerns that I have for my research paper: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0093650214565925
According to the
chart, I figured out that many of the Black/Latino (31 people) were
well-educated (60 people). For those well educated people, were they still
belonging to the disadvantaged groups? Or should the Black/Latino who were also
poor educated should be counted into double minority groups? I’m thinking of
making comparisons between the Black/Latino with well-educated backgrounds and
White/Asian who were poor educated. So it will showcase the results which
factor plays more important role in determining the laptop access at home and
differences in weak ties and interracial exchange. And there are also many
unmanageable factors, including social economic status, ages etc. If I’m
conducting the research, I will try to rule out those interference factors and be
more objective and detailed.
Additionally,
the author only mentioned the races and education levels. I read another
article “Digital inclusion: an analysis of social disadvantage and the
information society”.
The link: http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/26938/
In the article, to conceptualize social exlusion, the author has taken five resources into consideration, namely economic resources, cultural resources, social resources, political or civic resources and personal resources. I think this tree map is helpful before conducting the research and see how to group the minorities in a more effective way.
In the article, to conceptualize social exlusion, the author has taken five resources into consideration, namely economic resources, cultural resources, social resources, political or civic resources and personal resources. I think this tree map is helpful before conducting the research and see how to group the minorities in a more effective way.

By doing this critical assignment, I have learned that we need to be patient before conducting the research. We need to think carefully the concepts of some of the main points, for example the disadvantaged minorities there. How to define it is the first but very important step to success. It’s a good way to do the researches and draw the tree map to help researchers collect date in a more effective way.
Comments
Post a Comment